Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Book Review: Villette by Charlotte Bronte

Villette by Charlotte Brontë

I may be a little presumptuous in saying I am reviewing this classic work by this classic author, but I only just this August read - actually listened to the Audio Book - Villette on my drive to & from work.  

The reader did an excellent job. However, I will need to reread it in print form because so much of the dialog is in French & unfortunately I barely know any French! I took Spanish in school. So now I will need to read it with my computer by my side to translate many of the passages. But the book was excellent. 

 
I really enjoyed it and found myself talking to Miss Lucy Snow as I drove because she was taking too long to figure something out or she needed to get a hold of herself and work on her confidence. She kept putting herself down. 
 
Of all the Bronte sisters's work, my favorite is still Jane Eyre but Villette is right up there. It really presents an understandable image of the plight of a young woman of this period (mid-1800's) who, having lost family, is now in straightened circumstances.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my Blog/Thoughts. I look forward to reading your thoughts too. Please keep your comments pleasant, insightful and thoughtful too!